Pink Link

Online Breast Cancer Support

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Boise Young Professional

I am a member of a local networking group called Boise Young Professionals.  Recently I was nominated for Boise Young Professional of the Year and the dinner was two nights ago.  I was very surprised to be nominated for the award as I don't see the things I do as having a big impact on our community but the person who submitted my name saw it quite differently.

I didn't win the award but I got so much more out of the evening.  First, we sat next to a wonderful couple and in talking with them I discovered that the wife has been trying to get her 42 year old friend to go get a mammogram with her.  We talked about my story and I gave her ideas on how to encourage her friend to make this a priority.  She looked at me and said "There is a reason we were to sit next to each other tonight." (Award #1)

Second, after the award was handed out to a wonderful woman named Michelle Ross, a woman came over to my table asking for me.  She said her husband was the chair of the committee that reviewed the nominations.  She went on to say she wasn't supposed to read the essays that were submitted but he had left mine up on his computer and she read it.  She said she was in awe of all I have been through and all I do.  She said she had to come over and tell me just how amazing she thought I was. (Award #2)

I had an idea of who nominated me for the award but I wasn't sure.  After the ceremony I ran into the program secretary and asked her to confirm it for me.  I then went over to Ben to thank him.  Ben is the Chamber's director for BYP.  While they were announcing the nominees he noted during mine that he was wearing his pink tie for Breast Cancer Awareness month, in rememberance of his mother in law and for me.  What a great guy!  When I thanked him for submitting my name for the award he told me I was exactly what the award represented.  WOW!  To have the director of the group nominate me and tell me that was a huge reward for me.  But as I told him - I do what I do with the YMCA, speaking etc for others not for the money or the recognition.  (Award #3)

So although it is always nice to receive a "trophy" for what we do, Friday night I was rewarded so much more than that.

1 comment:

Brett Adler said...

Jenn,

As someone who was involved with developing BYP's award program, and was on the committee that picked the winners, I can tell we really appreciate your positive attitude.

Please know that Award # 4 is ours...from reading this.

Thank you,
Brett Adler
Chair-Elect, Boise Young Professionals
Chair, BYP Community & Civic Involvement Work Team