Pink Link

Online Breast Cancer Support

Friday, March 14, 2008

Reality Check

I was thinking tonight while sweating on the elliptical that I haven't been getting up early to work out like I did during the challenge last year. Things are different now. Last summer I didn't have to worry about getting kids up, fed and dressed for school. Last summer I didn't really have any hair to take the time to style. Last summer it was light out at 6:00 in the morning. Now in order to get in 30 minutes of cardio before getting ready for work I would have to get up no later than 5:15. I am soooo not a morning person so this has been very difficult for me. Especially during the winter when it is cold and dark. I enjoy working out at night anyway. It is a good way to release the stress of the day.

Also the reality of being the mom has come back to slap me in the face during the challenge. It is difficult to get in workouts at night when you have scout meetings, soccer games, school programs, doc appointments etc. Then comes the money part. I have one child who just got braces and also broke his leg the week before that. I just paid to have the dog "snipped" and "chipped". Gas and food are becoming more expensive every week. And of course there are my own medical bills. This makes it difficult for me to justify paying for training sessions and supplements etc. I always allow myself a gym membership but everything else I want for me - time and money - will go to my family first when needed. At least it is starting to warm up and this will allow me to workout outside with my family - bike rides, swimming, even yardwork.

No comments: