Pink Link

Online Breast Cancer Support

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Friends forever


Tara and I have known each other since junior high. She moved to the Seattle area after a year or so of hanging out together. Back then we were mainly roller skating and breakdancing. Boy that dates me, doesn't it? We have remained close over the years. I attended her high school graduation, she was in both my weddings and I was in hers. But the last few years we haven't been able to see each other. She now has 3 boys ages 2-almost 7 and the last two times I was in Seattle she was out of town.


So once I told her I had cancer she told me as soon as I was up for it she was coming for a girls weekend. I know it was difficult for her to be so far away while I was in treatment. We finally got our weekend a few days ago. We had planned to go roller skating but the only place in the area was closed for remodeling. We hung out at the hotel pool, drove around to our old neighborhood and hang outs, and talked and talked and talked (and ate and ate and ate). I stayed at the hotel with her and we chatted about the old days, what has gone on since then and talking about kids and spouses. One night my family went to dinner with us and came back to the hotel to swim. It was a great weekend but way too short!


I am blessed to have such a wonderful friend that still considers me one of the most important people in her life even after 24 years of living hundreds of miles apart.

























No comments: