Pink Link

Online Breast Cancer Support

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Vegas Baby!!!

Hubby and I just got back from a few days in Las Vegas. It was the first time either of us had been there other than when we stayed the night at a Motel 6 while driving to Disneyland last summer with the kids. We went to celebrate being done with treatment, being (just about) done with surgeries, and our anniversary (Nine years next week.)

We had a great time. We were going all day, everyday. Walking up and down the strip and checking out all the sights. We saw the Titantic exhibit and sharks, lions and dolphins. We went to the top of the Effiel Tower at Paris, Freemont street, the gondalas at The Venetian and I got pampered at the hotel spa. We didn't get to see and experience everything we wanted to but we certainly put a dent in our Vegas "TO DO" list!

We went to the Zumanity show. It was great! But I did find myself focusing in on the breasts of the few topless performers in the show. Real breasts - sigh. Then they were making jokes about fake breasts. I know it was geared to women trying to have bigger breasts and not geared to those of us who felt we had to get rid of them, but it still struck a chord. I knew there would be a lot of breasts and low cut shirts and Barbie looking girls in Vegas. I handled it well and didn't let it get to me until the show.

I had to take some time to process through it and then I was fine. I didn't want my mourning of my own breasts to take away from how much I really enjoyed the show. Maybe once I have surgery next week to create the rest of my breasts I will feel complete and not so "damaged". Don't get me wrong, I do not regret removing both of them to help me reduce the chances of every having to go through treatment again but I do miss them sometimes. I miss having feeling etc. But I wouldn't change my decision.

I digress - Vegas was wonderful!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, welcome back! :-) Glad you had such a great time!!! :-)

And GREAT job working through the "loss reminders"!!! I think it takes a different sort (degree?) of security and understanding to do that.

Our prayers & all are with you for your surgery! :-)

Brenda said...

I am so glad you had a great time. I wish I could have been there with you guys......maybe next time and we will finish off the rest of your "To Do" list.

Luv Ya